Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Beginning of Chemo

Last weekend we had some terrible news through Eddie's family. One of his sweet sisters passed .Not what we wanted to hear. Claudia brings sweet memories to me and Eddie. When we graduated from Grade School, she let Eddie and I cruise up and down main street in Potter Valley in her car before the dance. She of course rode with us and my parents stood on the sidewalk watching until we returned. We will miss her for sure. The last time I saw her she was in my hospital room at Mercy giving me a scalp massage while her sister Joan gave me a foot massage. All of Eddie's sisters are a healing part of my lifescycle as are you all. Tomorrow May 29, 2008 is my first chemo. Up until this morning I have been scared to death. The difference is that this morning we called the oncology nurse and asked her again to explain what I am to expect. Not going to be fun but I think I can do this. Last Friday Eddie took me in to MD Nuclear and they inserted what is called a porta cath high in my chest . This small disk is inserted just under the skin and has a small tube inserted into the jugular vein, this then goes through the heart and into a vein. For chemo a needle of sorts is inserted into the cath and the chemo in administered through it. Tranfusions can be done this way as well as many other procedures. As my veins are very fragile this will be a saving grace for me. The chemo is administered every 21 days and takes about six hours each time. The day after chemo, each time I return to Cancer Care for a shot that will boost my bone marrow to help make white blood cells that will play a large part in helping me stay free of infection. A big part of the time envolved in the six hours is concentrating on hydration. I am very anxious now to get the first one over with and see how many of the side effects I can avoid. Most of them I hope. The worst thing possibe happened to us today. We ran into a very dear friend that has been so supportive to us and they think she may have the same thing as I do. I am just sick for her and us. We are praying for her and her family as well as ourselves. I love you all and will let you know how the chemo goes.K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home