Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finally a plan of action...

Saw the new Dr. S. today. When his nurse called us in she immediately gave me a hug and said that was from Jenny at Dr. H's. Dr S. is the thoracic surgeon. A really great guy and took all the time in the world with us. Complete exam, talked about previous tests such as the CA-125 which, I think relates to cancer antigens. Mine is elevated some but not much. White blood count is up probably due to the bronchitis. I am still on antibiotics. He thinks I have probably had chronic bronchitis for the past year.

NOW ......surgery is set for April 8th at Mercy hospital. The mediastonoscopy is out. Can't reach the lymph node through the chest because it is behind the aorta. So the plan is to go in from the left side with 3-4 small incisions and tools. He is going to cut out what they think is the cancer in a wedge shape. It is close to the outside edge so looks easy to reach. Then he is going to push the lung aside and go after the lymph node. At this point a pathologist will come into surgery test both the lymph node and the nodule. They will know immediately if it is small cell or non small cell. Small cell is what we are hoping for as it could go into remission for a long time with treatment. There is like a 20% chance of that. The cancer is either a stage 1 which means it is just the nodule that is malignant or a stage 3A which means the nodule and lymph node are malignant. The latter pretty much sucks and means he will remove the entire upper lobe of that lung. Either way I will have to undergo chemo and probably radiation. (Don't even try to imagine me bald. It won't be a pretty picture.) We at least feel he has given us a lot more options. Don't know how long the hospital stay will be.

I go to Mercy Hospital in Redding this coming Monday for lung function tests because of the emphysema and Tuesday to Dr. S. in Weaverville (cardioligist) for a cardio workup. Closer to Surgery date I'll go to Mercy again for the usual pre-op tests. Blood etc.

So after Tuesday we have a break and are planning on a trip to Ukiah and Santa Rosa late in the week. Both Eddie and I have daughters in Santa Rosa, Conni and Tawni (about 5 minutes apart) so we are going to visit them. Also Tawni's daughter, our grandaughter Shelby is in an ice skating competition on Saturday the 29th. We are excited about seeing her perform. She is almost 12. When we come home we are bringing my mom with us for a few weeks.

I have a cousin Dal and his wife Marina who live in Red Bluff and we went there for dinner after my appt today. I am really sorry for all of you that they aren't your cousins. Marina is one of the best cooks I know. Dal just went through emergency heart surgery a few weeks ago and is doing wonderful. Now we just found out that his brother has even more serious heart problems so our prayers are going out to him as well. Well all, thanks again for your support, love and prayers. Love you all K.

2 Comments:

At March 22, 2008 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Karen...It worked...The link you sent me did the job where my best try on Internet Exporer failed even though it was typed in exactly the same...One of those internet mysteries that I sure don't understand...Wow, you have really put some heartfelt info and comments here on your blog...Thank you for all the news as it progresses...What a relief to finally be moving forward with 'a plan of action' and more info...You know Karen we've known each other know for awhile and there's something I have never shared with you even though I have thought it to myself many times...This seems like a good time to express that thought...I don't have any sisters or brothers but if I could have one sweet sister I would like her to be just like you...So do you think I could make you my official adopted sister...? I guess that would make Ed my brother-in-law...Huh..?
Maybe I should rethink this for awhile...LOL Oh Well, we have to make some compromises in life so my request still stands...I would like that...And if there's anything I can do to help you folks out over the next few days/weeks please don't hesitate to call me...I'm available 24/7
And if Ed needs me to cover for him on any Wednesday evening please let me know....I'll be checking your blog site each day to keep up with any news...And I don't know it you have my new server address recorded or not...
It is, standupeddie@com-pair.net
I'm going to run now...My prayers are with you and Ed for safe travels and good news as the days roll on...With love from your 'brother' in spirit...Eddie

 
At March 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Monica said...

Well shit this family just can;t catch a health break right now can we.
I love you!!!!
Monica
your 2nd daughter

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home